Update on National Guard
Jul. 20th, 2026 04:20 pmThe National Guard deployment in DC has had some changes after 4 July. The first is that the number of troops is to be doubled. The second is that the President has extended their deployment into January of 2029.
I have sent emails to both senators and my very right wing congresscritter today. I don't expect anything from my representative, but I have high hopes from my senators if only because they were directly attacked by the president at his most recent public rant.
An excerpt:
On a personal note, until I came to Savannah to look after my late mother, I was a resident of Washington, DC.
Imagine my shock and despair when, just before Independence Day, I visited the District. As someone who lived in Berlin before the wall came down, I can say without hesitation that the District was an occupied city. I should not see National Guard with automatic weapons at the Archives/Navy Memorial Metro stop. I should be able to access the National Mall, even at night. I used to walk home from Chinatown to my apartment in SW at 10 pm. Three weeks ago, I wasn't even allowed to go see the Lincoln Memorial at night.
Congress is in charge of the District's well being. From where I'm standing, Congress has abrogated its responsibility in favor of kowtowing to a President who is rapidly becoming more unhinged in his speech.
Please either back statehood for the District of Columbia or introduce legislation which will assert Congressional rights over the District and lift this siege. After I returned home to Savannah, I read that the President has doubled the number of National Guardsmen in the District and extended their service through January of 2029. This is not right.
In fiscal year 2024, the District paid $45,243,625 in Federal taxes. Puerto Rico, Vermont, Alaska, Wyoming, West Virginia, and North Dakota *combined* paid $44,810,347. Why does the District deserve less freedom and less representation than the five states listed? Puerto Rico would need to hold a new referendum to pursue statehood.
Please feel free to take and use any part of this.
I have sent emails to both senators and my very right wing congresscritter today. I don't expect anything from my representative, but I have high hopes from my senators if only because they were directly attacked by the president at his most recent public rant.
An excerpt:
On a personal note, until I came to Savannah to look after my late mother, I was a resident of Washington, DC.
Imagine my shock and despair when, just before Independence Day, I visited the District. As someone who lived in Berlin before the wall came down, I can say without hesitation that the District was an occupied city. I should not see National Guard with automatic weapons at the Archives/Navy Memorial Metro stop. I should be able to access the National Mall, even at night. I used to walk home from Chinatown to my apartment in SW at 10 pm. Three weeks ago, I wasn't even allowed to go see the Lincoln Memorial at night.
Congress is in charge of the District's well being. From where I'm standing, Congress has abrogated its responsibility in favor of kowtowing to a President who is rapidly becoming more unhinged in his speech.
Please either back statehood for the District of Columbia or introduce legislation which will assert Congressional rights over the District and lift this siege. After I returned home to Savannah, I read that the President has doubled the number of National Guardsmen in the District and extended their service through January of 2029. This is not right.
In fiscal year 2024, the District paid $45,243,625 in Federal taxes. Puerto Rico, Vermont, Alaska, Wyoming, West Virginia, and North Dakota *combined* paid $44,810,347. Why does the District deserve less freedom and less representation than the five states listed? Puerto Rico would need to hold a new referendum to pursue statehood.
Please feel free to take and use any part of this.
no subject
Date: 2026-07-21 06:01 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-07-21 03:57 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-07-21 07:30 am (UTC)1. Partisan Balance: Republicans strongly oppose statehood because the District is heavily Democratic. Adding a solidly blue state would shift the balance of power in Congress, particularly in the Senate.
2. Constitutional Intent: Article I of the U.S. Constitution provides Congress with exclusive jurisdiction over the seat of the federal government. Opponents argue that creating a state out of the capital violates the original framers' intent to ensure the federal government functions without interference from any individual state.
Personally, I think DC deserves statehood and even more than that, on a related note (i.e. fair representation in Congress), states should have the power to split themselves into smaller states (like it already happened thrice).
no subject
Date: 2026-07-21 04:07 pm (UTC)I would also like to point out there had been a move to get DC a voting representative in the House without statehood. We would have accepted that. We would also have accepted being given territorial status and having the federal taxes removed. Congress has been treating the District as a partisan football for decades.
2. There is a way, by exchanging District own land with Federally owned land, to carve out Washington from the District of Columbia. When the Constitution was written it was assumed that the President and the foreign Ambassadors would be the main people who lived permanently in the city. DC was supposed to be a ghost town when Congress wasn't in session. Trains and airplanes and a much wider expanse of land and issues changed that by the late 19th century.
no subject
Date: 2026-07-22 11:08 am (UTC)2. Exchanging land would most likely require a constitutional amendment which is a very tall order, ain't it?
no subject
Date: 2026-07-22 11:37 pm (UTC)I found something about territorial tax filings but am having trouble with paste on my tablet. I'll add it later. It reads to me like, under most circumstances, residents only have to file territorial taxes, not federal ones.
no subject
Date: 2026-07-25 12:06 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-07-26 10:24 pm (UTC)